We have just finished this Arch Linux base installation following this article. The operating system is not meant to be run on a VirtualBox. That is only for educational purposes. You should install it on a proper ssd.
We have chosen to install
Tips and points of attention
You can clone a VirtualBox and experiment on it without fear to wreck it. We show you how in the tutorial.
We will download the scripts for an easy and quick installation. Scripts will continue to evolve and improve. They will differ from the video in the future.
sudo pacman -S git
git clone https://github.com/erikdubois/archxfce4
Mind the xorg installation. Choose the right script depending if you are installing on VirtualBox or on a SSD.
- Virtual box – use 030-install-xorg-virtualbox-vx.sh
- SSD or harddisk – depending on your graphical card (Nvidia, Intel, …)
E.g.: I have an Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT so I would need to install nvidia-340 driver if I wanted to install an Nvdia driver. But I have been choosing the opensource driver xf86-video-nouveau for years now without any issues. But it might be important to tell you that I am no gamer. Here is the link If you need more information about the video drivers like xf86-video-nouveau, xf86-video-intel, … This topic might be challenging depending on your hardware.
Since we are on virtualbox we install a completely different graphical driver (see special virtualbox script) :
sudo pacman -S virtualbox-guest-utils
Logging back in, check the gauge symbol to see in which desktop you will login in.
What can you learn besides how to install Xfce4 on Arch?
- where to change the keyboard from qwerty to azerty
- how to set the full screen in virtual box
- making the terminal beautiful – font – transparent – menubar gone – no scrollbar
- installing whiskermenu and changing the settings – transparency
- panel preferences – transparency
- activate plank en delete the panel at the bottom
- autostart the plank
- plank or dock have a shadow – window manager
- opacity of window – window manager tweaks
- make whiskermenu transparent
- top of windows look strange – window manager
- variety for great backgrounds
Installing aureola conky and changing the cursor theme to breeze-snow
Tip : changing the cursor to breeze snow – menu – settings – mouse and touchpad – themes
Changing the dimensions of the conky and the logo.